Boxing fans in South Carolina might know the story of boxer Magomed Abdusalamov. He had just completed a bout at Madison Square Garden on Nov. 2, 2013. When he was seen by doctors after the fight, he was diagnosed with a broken nose and had a cut over his eye treated. A trainer noticed that there was blood in his post-fight urine sample. The man who noticed the blood understood that it could mean internal bleeding and recommended that the man go to the hospital.
South Carolina patients and family members may be interested to learn that a hospital in North Carolina may have accidentally exposed 18 patients to a deadly brain disease. According to the report, the disease in question is Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease, which causes dementia and could result in death very quickly.
South Carolina residents may be interested in a Florida medical malpractice case involving a breast augmentation procedure gone wrong. An 18-year-old Florida woman underwent breast augmentation surgery at a clinic for a discounted fee of $2,100 in August 2013. Shortly after surgery, she developed complications that left her in a coma for two months, and while she has since emerged from the coma, she is incapable of performing basic tasks on her own or caring for her young son, her family says. The clinic denies wrongdoing and alleges the woman withheld "pertinent medical information" leading to the poor surgical outcome.
South Carolina patients may have heard that a surgeon is being sued for allegedly leaving surgery to attend a luncheon meeting. The surgery that left a 72-year-old man in a vegetative state may have involved negligence, according to the lawsuit. According to an unnamed source who contacted the family one year after the procedure took place, the doctor, a cardiac surgeon, left the man on the operating table without closing the man's chest cavity. The surgeon left this to the physician's assistant, who was not qualified to finish the procedure. The state health department was reviewing the incident, the caller said, but neither the doctor nor the patient's name was made public.
South Carolina parents may be interested in the outcome of an incident involving a young girl who was reportedly over-medicated at a dentist's office. The girl passed away on Jan. 3 at Hospice Hawaii, one month after she went to a pediatric dentist for six cavity fillings and four root canals on Dec. 3.
Surgeries in South Carolina, while remaining safe in many cases, carry a significant risk, even for procedures that are commonplace. A patient might have a problem with the anesthesia, or a tiny nick from the surgeon's scalpel could endanger the patient's life. Every patient has a unique combination of factors that can negatively influence a surgery. Doctor errors, negligence and mistakes can also cause permanent disability or death.
When it comes to information about health care, there are many misconceptions. It is important for people to understand exactly what health insurance options are available for them and their families, how health insurance relates to legal issues like medical malpractice and the responsibilities doctors, hospitals and patients share in ensuring everyone has adequate coverage, so we wanted to share this important story on our medical malpractice blog. Fortunately for South Carolina residents, finding this information is easier than ever with Sign Up South Carolina, a webpage that answers many questions about health insurance and helps residents find the right policies for their needs.
South Carolina patients will be interested to know that a recent report revealed that many medical errors have gone unreported by doctors who are aware of another doctor's medical malpractice. Despite the code of ethics that mandates medical error disclosure, many patients have been released from hospitals without being informed about their impending health danger.
South Carolina parents whose children have suffered injuries or died due to medical malpractice may be interested to learn that one parent is working as an advocate for new legislation called Leah's Law. The law, named after the woman's daughter who died after suffering respiratory arrest caused by the medicine provided by the hospital, would require that all hospitals monitor their patients' breathing electronically after every surgical procedure.
South Carolina readers may take an interest in a recent $25 million award rendered by a jury in the case of a boy who suffered severe brain damage from jaundice that went untreated. The boy, who is now 6 years old, was released by a Brooklyn, N. Y., medical center without an exam or follow up, despite the fact that he had rapidly yellowing eyes and skin. The hospital has denied any failure to diagnose jaundice and has pledged to appeal the jury's verdict.