Elder abuse: The vulnerability of our elders

On Behalf of | Nov 30, 2017 | nursing home malpractice

Nursing home abuse has no place in current-day society. Individuals know that they’re supposed to respect their elders and the people they care for. Despite that, people do still end up struggling in nursing homes. They may be left with injuries as a result of physical or emotional abuse, all of which should never have occurred to begin with.

It’s estimated that around 1 in 10 Americans over the age of 60 have experienced elder abuse in some form. Unfortunately, not all cases go to the police, so it’s estimated that only 1 in 14 cases actually gets reported.

Who is most likely to abuse an elderly person?

There is no way to know for certain who may or may not hurt someone. Both men and women injure the elderly. In around 60 percent of cases, the abuser is a family member. That leaves 40 percent of abusers as doctors, nursing home aides and others outside the home.

How can you recognize elder abuse?

It is hard sometimes, but some common types of nursing home abuse, like emotional abuse or physical abuse, have signs you will notice. Emotional abuse leads to sudden withdrawal and changes in personality, for instance. Physical abuse may leave scars or pressure marks, ulcers or burns. Bruises, sudden injuries and broken bones also suggest abuse in some situations.

If you think nursing home abuse is affecting your loved one, you have to do what you can to protect him or her. In some cases, talking to the nursing home staff or director could help. In other cases, going to police or talking with your attorney can help you eliminate the danger to your loved one. Whatever you do, remember that reporting the incident is necessary for every patient’s future safety.


FindLaw Network