What steps should I take if I suspect medical malpractice?

On Behalf of | Jun 10, 2016 | Medical Malpractice

Like most legal actions, the steps you take immediately following a possible medical malpractice loss may significantly impact your legal claim and its outcome. If you are considering filing a medical malpractice claim, the most important decision you make may be contacting a medical malpractice attorney. If you would like to take steps before contacting an attorney, there are certain critical moves you should make prior to filing a claim.

To make sure your injury or loss constitutes medical malpractice, you may want to clarify your understanding of your medical provider’s goal. Discussing the situation with your doctor may help you better understand if your desired goal was met or not, and why. Contacting your doctor may also help you by establishing any other possible remedies aside from a medical malpractice lawsuit. Your doctor may wish to offer additional suggestions or alternative solutions to your problem. Discussing the issue with your doctor gives them the first chance at making it right before you both face a lengthy and involved medical malpractice lawsuit.

If contacting your treating doctor does not solve the problem, you may wish to consider contacting the medical licensing board in your state. While these medical boards cannot represent your case in court, they may be able to investigate your claim and can initiate certain disciplinary procedures against your medical provider.

While there may not be a great chance that contacting your medical doctor or their medical licensing board will remedy your situation, there is a very good chance that contacting an attorney will. If you have suffered a loss or injury due to suspected medical malpractice, and reaching out to your provider has not helped, it may be time to seek the professional representation of an experienced medical malpractice attorney. With their help, you may be able to file a medical malpractice lawsuit and receive the compensation you need to recover.


FindLaw Network