Furr & Henshaw
Myrtle Beach
Making You Whole Again
PLEASE NOTE: To protect your safety in response to the threat of COVID-19, we are offering our clients the ability to meet with us via telephone or other alternative methods. Please call our office to discuss your options.

What recourse do I have if I think my baby has cerebral palsy?

Cerebral palsy. While the term itself is a bit general and covers a broad array of malfunctions by the brain and body, the cause is often related to birthing complications. The issues that may arise might also not be immediately apparent. Things such as weakened muscle tone, uncontrolled movements, slow development in specific areas and vision and hearing problems may not readily present themselves for a period of time.

The causes of the problems, while largely occurring during the birthing process may also be the result of certain factors that take place before or relatively soon after birth. If you suspect your child may be suffering from cerebral palsy, or you have had your child's pediatrician diagnose such an ailment, you may desire to pinpoint causation. Depending on your findings, you may wish to seek damages.

Often, cerebral palsy is caused by head trauma after birth, which resulted in the baby's brain bleeding for a prolonged period. Another cause is oxygen deprivation resulting from the attending physician failing to provide adequate oxygen promptly to a baby in need. It is also possible for a doctor to prescribe a medication to the mother during the pregnancy that proves harmful to the baby.

Whether or not to pursue remuneration for the terrible hardships you and your child will face due to a doctor's error may best be decided with the help of a medical malpractice attorney in South Carolina. He or she can listen to the specifics of your situation, let you know whether you may have a good case and point you in the direction of how best to move forward. It isn't right that your child must pay for the error of a physician on whom you put your trust, but you should not have to continue to pay either.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information
email us for a response
email us for a response

Contact The Office

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Furr & Henshaw
1900 Oak Street
PO Box 2909
Myrtle Beach, SC 29578

Toll Free: 800-648-2947
Phone: 843-213-6737
Fax: 843-448-6445
Myrtle Beach Law Office Map

back to top